Now let’s talk about tassels. You might have seen patterns with tassels and wondered: how can I make this? They give that festive warm island/Ibiza vibey look. Tassels add a extra personal touch to shawls, clothing, cushions, bags, purses or whatever you want! It is easy and fun to make, and you can make them in any color you like. Scroll down for my photo tutorial and step by step video tutorial.
How to make tassels: a tutorial for beginners
If this is your first time making tassels, I recommend using yarn and colors you like most. Working with materials and colors you like lifts your energy up to a ‘I can do this’ energy!
To make tassels, you can use a tissue packet, phone, remote control, mints tin, cardboard, foam board, or any object you can find which is the right size for your tassels. I wanted to make smaller ones for my scarf and used tissues. If you want bigger/puffier tassels, just keep wrapping yarn around as many times as you like.
– any yarn you like, or the yarn you used for your project
– tissue packet (or any other object with the right measurements)
– darning needle
Length when lying flat: 5″ / 12 cm
To make it easier, I’ve made a video tutorial showing you how to make tassels. You can also find my free photo tutorial below.
* Click here to watch the video on YouTube
2. wrap yarn around 2 times, fasten off
3. wrap yarn around 4 times, fasten off
4. wrap yarn around 10 times, fasten off
5. use the strand that was wrapped around 4 times
6. pull this piece through
7. make a tight double knot
9. use the strand that was wrapped around 2 times
10. wrap around 5 times and make a double knot
11. use a darning needle
12. pull through the knot (extra secure)
14. trim the bottom
15. use a darning needle to attach to final piece
16. insert needle in between 2 stitches (or through fabric)
17. insert needle through center of tassel head
18. now through same space as photo 16
19. insert needle through
20. insert needle through center of tassel head
21. pull needle to the end of tassel
24. more tassels!